CLEAN. GREEN. FRESH. DAILY. DAIRY-FREE. BEAUTIFUL. FOOD.

Friday, June 18, 2010

Peanut Butter Krispies

I am in love with People's Co-op in OB, of which I am a member, and go there weekly for lunch from their tasty vegan deli. I am also in love with the deli's sweets selection. Containing a delicious variety of alternative cookies, pies, lemon bars, goddess bars (the best!), and the recently discovered, peanut butter krispies.....it is needless to say, I rarely leave empty handed.

I loved rice crispy treats as a child, and usually ate half of the mixture while still warm and gooey. We didn't have a lot of sweets around the house regularly except for ginger snaps and dried apricots, so these were a real treat! When I saw the peanut butter krispies at People's, I was hesitant at first as I usually go for chocolate, but I thought, dairy-free, sugar-free, why not! There were only five ingredients in them: org. rice crispies. org. peanut butter, org. brown rice syrup, puffed kashi and vanilla. I figured I could attempt a recreation myself for a fraction of the cost, and they make a great breakfast bar or gym snack!

(Thanks Amanda for the adorable dessert platter and towel for my blog!)

Peanut Butter Krispies

1 C organic peanut butter, creamy unsalted
1 C brown rice syrup
1/2 T vanilla
4 1/2 C puffed rice mixture to your liking
(I used 2 1/2 C crispy rice, 1 C millet puffs, 1 C kamut puffs)
1/2 tsp sea salt


Heat peanut butter and brown rice syrup in your largest saucepan over low heat until melted and mixed well. Turn off heat and add vanilla and salt, mixing well. Add puffed rice mixture gradually while stirring until evenly covered in pb mixture.

Spray a 9x13 pan with oil and press mixture into pan firmly, compacting a bit to prevent them from falling apart. Allow to cool at room temperature 2-3 hours or until set. Cut into squares and store in an air-tight container.

**Note this recipe is only mildly sweet.

1 comment:

manda said...

You are more than welcome, my love! The photos turned out really cute!