CLEAN. GREEN. FRESH. DAILY. DAIRY-FREE. BEAUTIFUL. FOOD.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Ode to Tofu Scramble & R.I.P. Fujimamas

This is an easy dinner in under 30 minutes , high in protein, low in fat, and flexible with the veggies you have in your fridge!

I originally started making Tofu Scramble when we lived in Japan. This dish was on the menu at my favorite western restaurant in Tokyo, Fujimamas, located in the heart of Harajuku. Hubby & I loved it so much I started making it at home and it became a comfort food of sorts. It is kind of like having breakfast for dinner....and who doesn't love breakfast for dinner once in a while!!
Now on a sad note...while writing this post, I tried to go to the Fujimamas web site to include their link and discovered it has CLOSED DOWN!!! This is a very sad thing to an ex-Tokyo expat who spent many evenings dining and Sunday's brunching at this well-know and ostensibly well-patronized Tokyo institution for 11 years. R.I.P. Fujimamas Japan (apparently their Hawaii location is still under operation).
http://tokyofoodie.com/2009/05/13/r-i-p-fujimamas/

What you need:

Turmeric
A block of Tofu, firm or silken both work (make sure it's organic, non-GMO)
An Onion
Garlic
Red chile flakes
A Yellow or Red Bell Pepper (my fave w/ cilantro, guac & tortillas) OR Spinach and Mushrooms OR Broccoli, finely chopped OR Eggplant OR anything else you want to experiment with!

My recipe tonight:

1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1-2 cloves garlic, diced
1 C crimini mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 block firm tofu, drained & pressed
2-3 Tbsp turmeric
3 C fresh spinach, chopped
olive oil
salt & pepper

Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and saute onion until translucent and fragrant. Add chopped garlic and jalapeno and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue cooking another few minutes. Add block of tofu and turmeric powder and chop up until tofu is broken into smaller chunks and yellow throughout. Season with salt & pepper, add spinach and mix in batches until wilted.

Serve with tortillas, hot sauce, guacamole, grated cheese (if you so wish!), pita, toast, fresh tomatoes, herbs, or anything else you have on hand. This recipe is all about flexibility...so make it yours!

1 comment:

IbukiWellness said...

I like the post. Can you remember any other dishes on the menu? My wife and I had our first date there and I want to recreate some of the dishes for our anniversary. I too was saddened to see that Fujimamas has shuttered up for good.