CLEAN. GREEN. FRESH. DAILY. DAIRY-FREE. BEAUTIFUL. FOOD.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Golden Beet & Heirloom Tomato Salad

While I have been a total slacker and haven't been blogging lately, I HAVE been enjoying this golden beet salad a lot! I finally got it together and sat down for a post this evening.

Lately...I have also been enjoying more fig picking .... Sauteed Zucchini Ribbons ..... Truffle Seared Scallops ...... Miso Glazed Cod ........... AND more fig picking! I figure if I disclose all of this, I am committed to posting all of these recipes very soon. Keeping myself in check, people!

So back to my salad: Golden beets are the blonde cinderella in the story, having a sweeter, more mild flavor than their evil red-staining step-sisters; and pair beautifully with heirloom tomatoes and cucumbers for a refreshing salad on a hot day! I use the leftover beet greens in my smoothies or saute them with a shallot and a bit of red wine vinegar or brandy. For this salad, I used a quick & simple salad dressing made with figs from our tree (yes, I picked them, did I mention that?).


Golden Beet & Heirloom Tomato Salad
2-3 golden beets
2 lemon cucumbers, cut into chunks
1 large heirloom tomato, chopped into large chunks (yellow, red or varigated)
1 large shallot, finely chopped or sweet onion, thinly sliced
Parsley, chopped

Trim stems from beets, scrub and boil immersed in water for 45 minutes or until soft. Drain and allow to cool enough to handle, then skins peel off easily when rubbed with your hands. Slice into half moons, and combine in a bowl with cucumbers, tomato, and shallot (or onion). Dress with Balsalmic Fig Dressing (or simply red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt & pepper), garnish with parsley and and allow to marinate in fridge for 1-2 hours. Also delicious the next day!


Balsalmic Fig Dressing
5 fresh figs
2 T white balsalmic vinegar
3 T balsalmic vinegar
1 1/2 T honey
4-5 T olive oil
Sprig of fresh thyme, leaves stripped from stems
salt and pepper to taste

Place everything in blender except for olive oil and blend well. With blender running, add olive oil slowly to finish. Keep in the fridge and pour all over everything! (pairs well w/ goat cheese & apple slices on toasts)

No comments: