CLEAN. GREEN. FRESH. DAILY. DAIRY-FREE. BEAUTIFUL. FOOD.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Wednesday is DragonDay!


It is Wednesday and that means fresh, local, organic produce from my CSA, Dragon Organics!

I love this day. I get so excited at the surprise of what is going to be in the mystery box of produce each week. I especially get excited when it gives me something new to experiment with, or inspires me to try new recipes with all of the stuff I have. Like today. I got a HUGE bunch of celery. Celery really isn't the coolest thing I received, but because there is so much of it, I started pouring through my cookbooks and searching online trying to find some new, inventive way to make a killer celery dish to impress you all with. hmmmmmmmmm, don't think that's going to happen. There's not all that much out there for celery to shine. Poor celery. I feel sorry for you. You are always added to something...whether it be soup, tuna salad, or broth, but when do you shine on your own aside from a boring veggie platter?

Anyone got any ideas for me?

Celery aside...I decided I would start posting a pic weekly to share by mystery-box of produce. I'll call it DragonDay!

This week:
3 cucumbers
2 green bell peppers
3 giant zucchini
3 yellow squash
3 gorgeous heirloom tomatoes
a bunch of beets & greens (use the greens in my smoothies)
oh, and CELERY!

Dragon Organics not only has a CSA program, but is also part of a school program through San Pasqual Academy (a residential education campus designed specifically for foster teens) where it has become part of their agriculture and entrepreneurial education. Originally planning to teach students about their own nutrition through growing the foods that are used in their cafe, it has now become a student run business with the goal of teaching interested students how to own and operate their own business. An even better reason to support it!

No comments: